Certified Agile Leadership (CAL 1)
Focus of Learning
Leaders substantially influence an organization’s agility and effectiveness. Increasing leadership awareness and competency in their own agility as well as their competency in aligning and empowering organizational agility is challenging. This workshop provides the AHA! leaders need to first increase their own personal awareness and to kickstart their journey to improved performance.
This Certified Agile Leadership Workshop is an interactive leadership-focused workshop building skills and competencies to effectively guide and grow agile leaders, coaches and their organizations. This workshop is a pragmatic application of theory and provides concrete models, tools and techniques for leaders to employ directly in their own thinking, their own behaviors, and within their organizations.
Agile Leadership Compass
Participants will be taken through a comprehensive view of Agile Leadership - first from the leader's personal perspective in how agility impacts their thinking and behavior, then from an organizational perspective in how they can effectively align, guide and scale their organization's agility.
The Agile Leadership Compass will provide guidance for participants both during the workshop and as an aid in their practice following the workshop. See the full list of Learning Objectives of the Agile Leadership Workshop
The workshop is designed for mixing experienced organizational leaders and experienced enterprise agile coaches in a way that draws upon each strength and caters to each of their needs for growth. By combining both in a single workshop, participants engage with each other to learn the strengths of the others - growing both leaders and coaches.
Organizational Leaders include senior executives, vice presidents, directors, middle management, and process and program-level leaders.
The workshop is designed for mixing experienced leaders and experienced coaches in a way that draws upon each strength and caters to each of their needs for growth. By combining both in a single workshop, participants engage with each other to learn the strengths of the others - growing both leaders and coaches.
As described by participants of this workshop...
"This wasn't training, it was an experience. We were never taught at, we were engaged in a learning experience in which we both participated and contributed. I have never been so engaged for two and a half days."
AGILE CONTEXT-FOCUSED LEARNING
- Economic and market factors that have led to the rise of Agile approaches.
- Complexity and uncertainty of work and how that drives the need for an agile approach.
- Historical management trends and their fit with the business environments of their time.
- Increasing employee engagement and their focus on customers to improve satisfaction and outcomes.
- Leadership maturity & mindset shifts required to effectively lead in an agile context.
- Neuroscience Leadership development framework aligned with Agile thinking and driving effectiveness.
- Seeking and Incorporating feedback that improves your ability to inspect and adapt your own behavior.
- Catalyst Coaching approach which integrates alternative perspectives, engages others, and improves outcomes.
- Organizational challenges faced when undertaking Agile more broadly.
- Increasing safety, trust and collaboration between and across teams.
- Organizational cultures, structures and governance and how they relate impede or enhance agility.
- Case studies of organizations that effectively use Agile to run their business.
- Organizations as complex adaptive systems where change is always present and dynamic leadership is required
- Organizational metrics which align to agile thinking, or impede it, and how they impact behaviors and results.
- Change management approaches aligned with ongoing change and organizational agility.
- Identify and reduce bottlenecks, impediments, and overall friction in an organization.
Day 1: Focus on Personal Agile Leadership (9AM - 5PM)
Start with an historical perspective of human development and leadership as well as the current context driving agility. We introduce the Leadership Agility Maturity Model to foster self-awareness of our own leadership maturity and to discover more agile thinking and behaviors. We explore the mindset and behaviors of leaders at these varying maturity levels to self-reflect on leadership traits in ourselves and others. Finally, we practice a simple 5-step catalyst conversation technique to positively impact every aspect of our work (and personal) life.
Day 2: Focus on Leading Organizational Agility & Change (9AM - 5PM)
This day re-orients the leader towards the organization and the focus of their work. Expanding upon the mindset and behaviors from day 1, we explore the organizational contexts of culture, structures and change to foster organizational delivery and agility. Two key focal points: value delivery and organizational learning.
We evaluate case studies of real organizations of different cultures applying agile structures of different patterns to drive effective and sustaining change with positive results. We reflect and share our own organizational cultures and structures in comparison to these case studies and other participant models. Finally, we practice a simple 5-step V2MOM organizational change model to guide the change needed in our organizations.
Day 3 (half-day): Focus on deepening and applying learning (9AM - 12PM)
The morning of day three provides an opportunity for participants to deepen their learning through an optional second evening social gathering and a morning reflection. It allows for flexibility in the workshop schedule to engage in an optional agile organization site visit and explore various topics more deeply. Finally, it provides for additional opportunities for leader and coach participants to share their own case studies and challenges.
- Pete Behrens (Primary Education Facilitator)
- Satty Bhens, Digital Partner at McKinsey & Company (Partner Education Facilitator)
We are proud to co-facilitate this workshop with McKinsey & Company. McKinsey Partner, Satty Bhens and Agile Digital VP, Belkis Vasquez-McCall will be joining our workshop to share their experiences and expertise in guiding leadership and organizational agility.
McKinsey & Company
55 East 52nd Street, New York, NY 10022